- Judas betrays Jesus in the Garden of Gethsemane. Jesus is arrested. (Matthew 26:47-56; Mark 14:43-52; Luke 22:47-53; John 18:1-11)
- The first trial before Annas (John 18:13-24)
- The second trial before Caiaphas and the Sanhedrin (Matthew 26:57-68, Mark 14:53-65, Luke 22:54)
- Peter’s denials (Matthew 26:69-75, Mark 14:66-72, Luke 22:55-65, John 18:25-27)
- The third trial before the Sanhedrin (Matthew 27:1, Mark 15:1a, Luke 22:66-71)
- Judas commits suicide (Matthew 27:3-10, Acts 1:18-19)
- The fourth trial before Pilate.
- Jews accuse Jesus
- Pilate questions Jesus “Are you a king?”
- Jesus aswers “My kingdom is not of this world.”
- Conclusion “I find no guilt in him.” (Matthew 27:2, 11-14, Mark 15:1b-5, Luke 23:1-5, John 18:28-38)
- The fifth trial before Herod Antipas
- Jesus Mocked and put in a royal robe and sent back to Pilate. No accusation (Luke 23:6-12)
- The sixth trial before Pilate
- Pilot offers to release a man.
- Crowd asks for Barabbas.
- Jesus innocent of all charges. Luke 23:14
- Jesus lead away to be crucified to satisfy the people.
- Jesus is scourged and Mocked. Matthew 27:15-26. Mark 15:6-15, Luke 23:13-25, John 18:39-19:16
- Jesus led out to be Crucified. 9:00 am
- Journey to Golgotha (Matthew 27:31-34 Mark 15:20-23 Luke 23:26-33a John 19:17)
- The first three hours of crucifixion. Jesus crucified between two criminals (Luke 23:33b, John 19:18)
- Jesus’ garments are divided (Matthew 27:35-36 Mark 15:24 John 19:23-22)
- Sign over Jesus Head “this is Jesus the King of the Jews”
- “Father forgive them; for they know not what they are doing” (Luke 23:23b)
- Jesus Mocked
- By those passing by (Matthew 15:29-30)
- By the Religious officials (Mark 15:31-32 )
- By the soldiers (Luke 23:36-37)
- By the other criminals (Luke 23:39)
- Jesus forgives the repentant criminal “Truly I say to you, today you shall be with me in paradise.” (Luke 23:40-43)
- Jesus presents his Mother to John. “Behold your son”… Behold, your Mother” (John 19:25-27)
- The Final three hours of crucifixion.
- There was darkness from 12:00 to 3:00p.m. (Matthew 27:45, Mark 15:33, Luke 23:44-45)
- 9th hour. Jesus uttered the words “Eli Eli Lama Sabchthani that is My God, My God, Why hast Thou Forsaken Me.” (Matthew 27:46-49, Mark 15:34-36 )
- “I am Thirsty” (John 19:29-30)
- “It is Finished” (John 19:30)
- “Father, Into thy Hands I Commit My Spirit” (Luke 23:46 )
- He breathed his last and died at 3:00p.m.
- Responses to Jesus’ death.
- Veil in the temple was torn from top to bottom (Matthew 27:51, Mark 15:38 , Luke 23:45)
- There was a great earth quake (Matthew 27:51)
- Tombs were opened and dead saints walked around (Matthew 27:52-53)
- Centurion “Truly this was the Son of God!” “Certainly this man was innocent” (Matthew 27:54. Mark 15:39, Luke 23:47-49)
- Multitudes beat their breast (Luke 23:48)
- Women watched from a distance (Matthew 27:55-56, Mark 15:40-41, Luke 23:49)
- Soldier find Jesus Dead. Jesus’ Side pierced. “Out comes blood and water” Proof Jesus is dead (John 19:34)
- Jesus buried by Joseph and Nicodemus in the garden tomb (Matthew 27:57-60, Mark 15:43-46, Luke 23:50-54, John 19:38-42)Tomb is sealed and soldier stationed to guard the tomb (Matthew 27:61-66, Mark 15:47, Luke 23:55-56)
Old Testament Parallel
- I cry out to you, O LORD; I say, “You are my refuge, my portion in the land of the living.” Psalm 142:5
- Be my strong rock, a castle to keep me safe; you are my crag and my stronghold. Psalm 71:3
- O LORD, I cry to you for help; in the morning my prayer comes before you. Psalm 88:14
- My God, my God, why have you forsaken me? and are so far from my cry and from the words of my distress? Psalm 22:1