Archive for the ‘Pastors’ Category
December 20, 2010 7 comments
- 80 percent believe that pastoral ministry affects their families negatively.
- 30 percent say that being in ministry is an outright hazard to their family.
- 75 percent report they’ve had a significant stress-related crisis once in their ministry.
- 50 percent feel unable to meet the needs of the job.
- 90 percent feel they’re inadequately trained to cope with ministry demands.
- 80 percent of pastors say they have insufficient time with their spouse.
- 56 percent of pastors’ wives say that they have no close friends.
- 45.5 percent of pastors say that they’ve experienced depression or burnout to the extent that they needed to take a leave of absence from ministry.
- 70 percent do not have someone they consider a close friend.
Those in ministry are equally likely to have their marriage end in divorce as general church members. The clergy has the second highest divorce rate among all professions.
Source: Pastors at Greater Risk, by H. B. London and Neil Wiseman, quoted in Leading on Empty, by Wayne Cordeiro